Friday, August 12, 2011

Thrift Score–A Mad House

Tuesday I had to be out and about early.  A lot earlier than normal.  When I finished my errands I thought I would make a stop at the local thrift.  I didn’t realize that I was arriving about six minutes before it opened.  Can you believe what I saw?

IMAG0656z

I don’t know if it’s like this every morning but it was crazy!  It was like black Friday at the thrift store!  When they didn’t open right on time, people started banging on the door.  Elderly ladies were talking about not being able to get buggies!  It was a mad house I tell ya.  There must have been at least fifty people standing there!

I, of course, made a bee line for the furniture.  There was a couple of promising night stands, but I’m on strict orders of no more projects so I had to let those pass.  Next I hit the dishes.  I found a couple of plastic coffee cups.  Perfect for a play kitchen.  Then I buzzed over to my favorite spot, the craft section.  It was packed.  I was a little bummed by this because I didn’t expect it to be that popular.  I still got some good finds though.  Here is my loot!

2011-08-09 2011-08-09 002

I think my total was $3.21.  The magnetic snaps were $.050 a piece.  A steal!

My favorite are these wooden spools.  I was so happy that they used tape and didn’t write on the wood!  I HATE it when they do that.  The one on the right is a nylon thread.

2011-08-09 2011-08-09 003

Look at the delicious label on top. 

2011-08-09 2011-08-09 011

And here is the bag of thread after I opened it. 

2011-08-09 2011-08-09 004

I bought it because I saw these mixed in the bag.

2011-08-09 2011-08-09 009

Mini wooden spools!  And look at the labels on top!  My favorite is below second from the left.  I even love the thread color. 

2011-08-09 2011-08-09 010

The other spools aren’t too shabby either. 

2011-08-09 2011-08-09 007

See the one on the bottom left?  It says Fruit of the Loom!  Most of these are Styrofoam with a couple plastic ones.  Not sure what to do with these.  Any suggestions? 

2 comments:

Pregnantly Plump said...

OK, wow I feel so bad. I had lots of old wooden and styrofoam spools. The thread was in awful shape, so I ended up donating them all. Maybe someone else was more creative than I was. If I find anymore I will let you know!
Oh, and I attempted to watch Project Runway last night. Um, stilt walkers should not be models. That was painful to watch. There's no grace there at all.

Sarah said...

Erm, I throw away the plastic ones. Or redonate them.

I have some fruit of the loom ones too.

I sent you another swap email. (that's the third one! LOL) If it isnt there let me know.