Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Summer Reading

One of my favorite parts of summer has always been reading.  Every summer I would faithfully go to the local library and sign up for the summer reading program . . . even when I was in high school!  Yes I did! 

Summer reading was something that I really wanted to pass on to my family.  While I was at the library signing us up I noticed this  . . .

2011-07-18 2011-07-18 038

You may have noticed from the lack of recipes or food related posts that I am not a foodie.  I can cook, but generally my clumsiness leads to too much of a mess, and since I HATE doing dishes . . . and there you go. 

One of the things I really wanted to see during a trip to the Smithsonian was Julia Child’s kitchen.  (If you go here you can take a virtual tour!)  I had heard that they took it apart bit by bit, cataloguing everything to rebuild it in the basement of the Smithsonian.  I just had to see it.

Then after hearing rave reviews about the movie Julie/Julia, I decided to watch it but was disappointed.  I found the Julia parts really interesting so  thought I would like this too.  And it has not disappointed.  It is so interesting how life really  has not changed that much in the last 60ish years.  Julia and her pin pal discuss things like MSG, politics, and using the convince of frozen food verses making a healthy meal from scratch.  Sound familiar?  I’m enjoying it so much that I might have to read Julia’s  My Life in France. 

The next book on my night stand is Ronda Rich’s What Southern Women Know (That Every Woman Should).  You would think I really didn’t need to read this wouldn’t you? 

2011-07-18 2011-07-18 039

I started out reading Ronda’s column in my local paper, and loved it.  LOVED.  IT.  I don’t know how many times her column would seem to shadow my own life.  I borrowed her book The Town That Came A-Courtin' from the library and fell in love with the characters.  I just had to read more Ronda. 

I was just a few chapters in when I had to put it down.  Not because I wasn’t enjoying it.  I was.  And not because I didn’t agree with it.  I did.  Mostly.  Not to give too much away, but Ronda says that Southern women must wear make-up.  Ok, ladies.  Confession time.  I would say 90% of the time I don’t wear make-up.  No foundation, no mascara, and absolutely no lipstick.  So it started me thinking.  Ronda says that you have to put your best foot forward, and always look your best.  And I agree.  I just feel more me without it.  But sometimes I have those down days, so maybe if I put on a little gloss I would feel better.  Or maybe I’m not really a “Southern Woman” . . . maybe I’m a Southern Country Woman . . . or an Appalachian Woman?  I’m sure she didn’t intend for this to cause inner reflection, but it has. 

By the way, today is Book Lover’s Day!  So what’s on your night stand?  Have you tried either of these books? 

2 comments:

Pregnantly Plump said...

I haven't read those books, but I did read excerpts from the Julia Child one.
My reading has been odd this summer -- I read my book club books, the first 2 Twilight books, and reread "Wickett's Remedy." I love that book, but my mother hated it.

lisa said...

Wow! That's a lot! I've barely made it through the one!