Did you know this is Simply Your Life Week! You may remember that I have been trying to simplify things around me for a while now, so I was pretty excited when I realized this was coming up. At first I thought about organizing tasks around the house and asking you guys to do it along with me. But then I realized that it would be just too much work. And not simple at all. Kind of defeats the purpose doesn’t it?
I realized instead that I should just share some the things that I have been working on this summer that has seemed to be successful in helping me cut out waste, in both time and space.
The first thing is my android phone. I really wasn’t interested at all in getting a smart phone, until a friend of mine showed me how she could scan products to find where to get it the cheapest. SOLD! It’s hard to justify the cost of a smart phone and the data plan, especially to save a few bucks on juice boxes. But after having it for a while I feel like this is worth the extra costs and here’s why:
1. It’s a camera
2. It’s an MP3 player
3. It’s a kindle (albeit small)
4. It’s a baby sitter/tutor – The loads of free downloadable games are a perfect child-distractor (especially great for grocery shopping and restaurants). Extra bonus: A lot of the games are educational, like flash cards and tangrams Huge Minus: Can we say addiction?
5. It’s a blog reader – Strangely enough it reduces the amount of time I spend on the computer! When I have a few minutes I can click on the Google Blog Reader App and read a few at a time, without having to be tied to the computer. And I am less likely to look at random stuff and get sucked in.
So basically my android is like an electric Swiss army knife . . . it even comes with a flashlight. But here is the kicker. All of the above does make my purse a lot less cluttered, but my android does another function. It helps me clean my house . . . . . . honest! I’m not joking. There is an app that I use called Checkmark. It’s an app for making to-do lists. Of course I use the free version, and I have set it up on my phone with a list of repeating chores that I need to do every week. I originally got the cleaning lists from Money Saving Mom and Real Simple but adapted it to my needs.
My week of chores looks like this:
- Clean Upstairs Bathroom
- Clean Front Bathroom
- Clean Master Bathroom
- Sort Hot Spots
- Disinfect Doorknobs and Light Switches
- Vacuum Main Floor
- Wipe Out Refrigerator
- Scrub and Disinfect Kitchen Sink
- Swiffer Kitchen Floor
- Wipe Down Outside of Refrigerator, Stove, & Dishwasher
- Wipe Down Table and Chairs
- Wash Upstairs Bedding
- Wash Master Bedroom Bedding
- Sort Hot Spots
- Wipe Down Outside of Washer and Dryer
Friday – Catch Up Day before the Weekend
I also have Monthly reminders for other things like:
- Clean & Deodorize Microwave – monthly on the second Wednesday
- Wipe Down Fronts of Kitchen Cabinets – monthly on the second Wednesday
- Dust Ceiling Fans – monthly on the first Tuesday
- Vacuum and wipe air vents – monthly on the first Tuesday
- Dust Molding – every 2 weeks on Tuesday
- Clean Stove Burner Grates – every 2 weeks on Wednesday
- Check Batteries in Fire Alarm – every 6 months on day 1
- Flip mattresses – every 3 months on day 1
I know that home organization binders work for a lot of people, but for me it’s just too much to keep up with. This way I can keep up with what I need to do, and I get the satisfaction of checking things off my list!
So what do you guys do to simplify your life? If you have a smart phone, do you have a favorite time saving app?