Friday, August 5, 2011

Simplify Your Life Week: My Recipe Book

This is a project that I have been thinking about for a long time.  Every week I seemed to struggle with what to make for dinner.  I would comb through cook books trying to find something to make, and writing up elaborate shopping lists only to do it again the next week.  It just seemed like a big waste of time.  When I would ask Hubs for some suggestions  for dinner, the answer was always “I don’t know.  You know what we have.”  I thought how much easier it could be if I had some sort of menu to chose from, and then it hit me.  Why not have a single place to look for menu suggestions, and then an actual menu of things that we had the ingredients to? 

2011-08-04 2011-08-04 006_thumb

I have all my favorite recipes in these Avery 76010 pouches.  They are like regular sheet protectors, but thicker and with a little flap over the top.   I really wanted to laminate, but it was just too expensive.  I found these on clearance at WM months ago.

2011-08-04 2011-08-04 008_thumb

It took we a while to go through all my recipes and print them out.  I actually printed these onto cheap cardstock.  That way they are more sturdy.  I also like that I can attach little post-its  under the pouches to keep with the recipe.  Here are my notes so I will know how much good luck collards to by for the New Year.

2011-08-04 2011-08-04 009_thumb

Other recipes jut got slipped right in the pouches.  Here is my Martha!

2011-08-04 2011-08-04 012_thumb

This was clipped from Parade Magazine.  It’s Zac’s recipe for Campfire Chili.  It isn’t in a pouch, because I actually copied his whole cookbook and put it in here.  You can see it to the left.   Even though he had this great idea to print his on removable index cards, the book is just too nice to mess up.  And I am a messy cook.  Hence the need for pouches.

2011-08-04 2011-08-04 014_thumb

I also put recipes that I have clipped, but haven’t tried in regular sheet protectors and put them in here too.   Makes me feel less committed.

2011-08-04 2011-08-04 017_thumb

And here is the back of my book.  It’s a Vegetable & Fruit Storage cheat sheet.  Did you know that you can’t put apples next to lettuce?  Well I didn’t.  Or that squash went on the top shelf?  Well, I didn’t know that either.  I actually just made this, because it seems like I am forever throwing vegetables away.  So maybe this will make things simpler.  I sure hope so!

How do you meal plan and store your recipes?

No comments: