Thursday, August 4, 2011

Simplify Your Life: the Kitchen

922TR3D2EZN9

I really think the heart of any home is in the kitchen.  And that’s why a lot of the projects that I have tackled have been in the kitchen. 

1.  Fridge Organization



When I saw this picture on Pinterest, I knew I had to do this!  I know when some people looked at this they thought it was a little OCD.  When I looked at it I though how great it would be to solve the Wurze-itat disease that my fridge seems to have.  You know, that cottage cheese that you just bought but you can’t seem to find until a week after the past due date because it was wedged in behind the leftovers.  Yeah that disease.  

I’m totally going to spare you the before picture of disorganized refrigerator, because it was in bad need of a cleaning out.  It wasn’t really that bad, but I think we’ve all seen the inside of a refrigerator.  But now look . . .

2011-08-04 2011-08-04 001

(Que Angels singing)

Isn’t that much better.  I didn’t really need all the baskets like in the inspiration photo, mainly because it would take up more space then we have.  I did really like the idea of having all the sandwich accoutrement in a single basket.  It is SO much easier.  Highly recommend doing that if you fix a lot of sandwiches. 

2011-08-04 2011-08-04 004

I also have a smaller basket for dairy products because of the aforementioned problem.  This doesn’t take up a lot of room and I know exactly where my cottage cheese and sour cream is.  There is another small basket that now holds cucumbers.  Did you know those were suppose to go on the top shelf?

2009-01-29 002

2.  Writing Expiration Date on Food

A lot of people implement the first in first out system.  This is the same system that grocery and drug stores are suppose to follow.  It’s basically what it says, the older food (or first in) should be the product pulled to the front so it’s the first out.  This doesn’t really work for me, so I use a modified system.  The idea is sound, but the problem for me comes when I get behind in putting everything up in my pantry.  Or when I need to move things around to get more space.  Instead, I write the expiration date on the front or top of most of my food or over the counter medicines.  It really doesn’t take that long, and that way I am sure that I am grabbing the oldest first.  I can also see at a glance what I need to make sure I include in my meal planning to use up so no waste.  I highly recommend this.

Tomorrow I’ll post number three, my recipe Book.

So do you do any of these things in your kitchen?  Or do you have any helpful hints to keep things simplified in the kitchen?

Linked at The Frugal Homemaker

No comments: