Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Field Taters

This morning before the heat over took us, I decided to go out and dig up our tators.  It was a plentiful harvest ya’ll!

Here is the first tator of the season.

2011-07-20 2011-07-20 005

Taadaaaaaa!

2011-07-20 2011-07-20 009

Not bad for our little 8 x 16 backyard raised garden . . . or the back 40 as we like to call it.  Ok, so we’ve never actually called it that, but I think we will start. 

2011-07-20 2011-07-20 011

2011-07-20 2011-07-20 013

We got two, count um, TWO little baskets of taters!  One was from seed taters purchased from the feed and seed.  The other were cut up pieces from left over potatoes from the grocery store.  I can’t remember which was which.  Oh well.

Now here is the disclaimer.  Remember the photos of our little garden about two months ago?  No?  Well go here for a reminder. 

Here it is now.

2011-07-20 2011-07-20 014

Pitiful.  Just Pitiful.  It’s the heat I tell ya.  Yeah, that’s it!

Ok, really what happened was I tried to kill off the bugs organically using diluted dish detergent.  I killed the plants instead.  Lula Bell said that I used too much detergent and burnt the plants or sprayed them when it was too hot.  On some of the plants, the leaves turned brown, but then sprouted new growth.  The potato plants, however, totally wilted.  It didn’t seem to bother the maters at all!  Can’t wait!

2011-07-20 2011-07-20 016

3 comments:

Pregnantly Plump said...

I would love to grow potatoes! Is it hard? I wanted to plant new potatoes this year, but knew nothing about it.

lisa said...

I had never done it before either. My mom was here for a few days and she helped me do it. I ‘knew’ how to do it, but was afraid that I would screw it up. You just take potatoes and cut them in pieces so that they had about three eyes to a piece. And then you plant them about six inches down I think. Not exactly sure how deep it was. And about a foot apart. The plants get really tall. And they are supposed to have little berries on them that look like tomatoes, because tomatoes and potatoes are both in the same nightshade family. But the potato ones are suppose to be poisonous so you have to make sure to keep them away from the kiddos. Sweet potatoes are completely different with a vine, and I read in an article were someone used them as ornamentals and then dug them up later to eat. I have some sweet potato vines in a planter, but I think they aren’t really potato producers. I think we will plant regular potatoes again next year, but I will plant sunflowers in-between them.

lanakwaustin@att.net said...

Oh, I am loving your taters!!!!! We just ate our first tomatoes last night for supper!!!!!
I'm all about the garden--my grandpa had the best garden in the world and I try (and fail!) to live up to his example!
I am so glad you got an awesome tater harvest!@!!!


Please, if you get a chance, stop by my blog to leave a comment on my first giveaway for a chance to win. Thank you!!!

Hugs,
Lana