Thursday, September 2, 2010

This post is brought to you by the letter A

  2010-08-30 2010-08-30 004

I am constantly amazed at the great ideas and projects that I find in the blogs I read.  And I’m always surprised when I have been thinking about something, then I open up my blog reader and find a new post someone has written about that very thing.  This happens a lot!  And usually it’s with the same people. 

The past few weeks, for instance, I have been thinking about school.  School lunches and nutrition, school supplies, class room size, private vs. public vs. home school, and just about everything in between.  We will be starting preschool soon, and I have been both excited and nervous.  It’s going to be a big change, and as a mommy I’m not quite sure I’m ready for it.  I have been loving looking at markers, paper, and glue though.  There is nothing better than a fresh box of Crayola’s I tell ya. 

I think my nervousness comes from separation anxiety and worry over being a good Mom.  I often wonder if I am teaching enough, or the right things.  Is there something that I’ve forgotten to say, or simply didn’t know that I had to?  A friend of mine who was a kindergarten teacher once told me to make sure I covered blowing your nose.  You have to teach that?  And I never forget an article I read were it talked about writing your address on a child’s stomach before you go someplace like a fair or a theme park.  I forwarded it to some of my family with kids because I thought it was a joke . . . until they replied back that they had clothing labels and a necklace made with their information on it.  Boy was I way behind. 

So when it comes to education, I want to make sure that I’m setting the right path.  Part of this comes from my own experience an a child.  While looking back on some of my old report cards I realized that my teachers had wanted to hold me back until I was in the second grade because I was having trouble reading.  I remember being frustrated and in a special reading group, but I didn’t realize that it went that far. 

Now that I’m a Mommy I to make sure that I do better.   I want to make sure that there are no more report cards like that in this family.  So while I was pondering all of this, I read some posts by Samantha about Tot school.  While we are a little ahead of that, she gave some great ideas that I could use.  Some of these things I had been milling over, like bingo marker letters.  What never occurred to me was the structure.    I thought it would be a good way to prepare for preschool.  And since preschool is only three days a week, it would be perfect to do the other two days.  This way I would always know where we are, and make sure that nothing is missing before we start big kid school (tear . . . even though I’m totally not ready to talk about that yet)! 

So this week, just like Samantha, we started with the letter A.  Each day slowly progressed to three or four worksheets from a preschool workbook by Mead, scissor activity, and song time.  For song time we sing a couple of favorites like “Wheels on the Bus,” and “Old McDonald.”  Then we do “A is for Apple” (just like "C is for Cookie" from Sesame Street).  The difference is that I have incorporated sign language.  This is my favorite part.  Next week we will add “B is for Banana.”  Then the week after that “C is for Carrot.”  I’m a little lost on D though . . . . any thoughts?

And way back to the picture at the top.  While looking up new lunch ideas, even though we will still be having lunch at the house, I found the Cooking for Monkeys website and totally LOVED this lunch!  So, I decided to do my own take on it and in honor of A week created the A sandwich.  I totally should have did the tomatoes in lower case, but it was still a big hit.

1 comment:

Pregnantly Plump said...

I so wish Little Elvis would eat tomatoes! What a cute A meal. As for "D," the first thing that popped into my head was doughnut. Totally unhealthy, but that's the first (and only!) D food that came to mind. They aren't in season now, but Little Elvis loves dandelions. We're also big duck fans.
I think the idea about writing the name and address on the tummy is great!