Thursday, August 12, 2010

Beets

I was going to link to this post on my last post and then realized I never put it up.  Woops.  It’s a few months behind, but I loved the recipe below for baked beets so much that I paid the lady double at the Farmer’s Market last Saturday for all she had.  And I can’t wait.  Yum!

I am lucky enough to have a local restaurant that tries to serve locally grown organic foods.  I love eating going there because it makes me feel less guilt about eating out.  I actually feel like it is probably better for the family than the meals I make at home, . . . and  it makes it easier to enjoy their decadent cheese cake! 

Well a few weeks back we decided to stop in for lunch, and the special for the day happened to be a black been burger with greens and a side of roasted beets.  Well, I’ve never been a beet fan.  Until, that is, I started having the salad at Provinos.  I actually asked a waitress during one visit, how they were prepared, and she let the cat out of the bag.  They are from a can folks!  Well, I went right to the grocery store and bought some.  They are super good after you rinse them and douse them with Paul Newman Light Italian salad dressing.  Still not the same though. 
Anyway, so I thought I would be  adventurous and give roasted beets a try.  They. Were. DELICIOUS!  I was so impressed!  Why was I thirty and trying this for first time!  It’s not like I haven’t been around farms and homegrown produce.  My family (before I was born) use to own a produce stand for Pete’s sake! 

Well, when at the the local Home Depot picking out seeds, I decided to try our hand at beets.  The package said that you can grow them through out the year, so I thought this would be a good thing to try.  Well, they are coming in folks!  At least I think it is them, and not the carrots. 

2010-05-27 2010-05-27 034


I decided that I couldn’t wait long enough for ours to come in (which we know know didn’t because they were eaten by rabbits shortly after this.  Boo!), so I decided to pick some up from the grocery store.  I really want to try and make the simple roasted beets just like at our local restaurant.  I searched online, and although I found many delicious sounding recipes, none were the simple recipes that I was looking for.

The closest Roasting 101 by Martha

Here are some that I found:
Baked Beets by Rachel Ray -  these are from a can though
Beet Chips by Martha

Here the beats are wrapped in parchment and then aluminum foil. 


2010-05-31 2010-05-31 004


2010-05-31 2010-05-31 005
 
Here they are after the skin was removed.  Oh delicious.  Even if you don’t like beets, I would recommend this recipe.  It might change your mind.

2010-05-31 2010-05-31 007

No comments: