Monday, February 22, 2010

Valentine's Pearl Bead Necklace

I know!  I know!  This is a little late for Valentine’s Day, but I think this is such a great idea I just had to share!  And it makes such a perfect present for Grandma’s, special Aunts, and of course Mommies!

We decided to make red bead necklaces for Valentines Day.  I mixed together a standard recipe for salt dough for the beds.  I can’t remember where I found it, but I made it for the smallest amount that I could.  There are tons of recipes out there.  When we have made it before, it makes a lot of dough.  I formed balls and then made holes with a skewer.  Then backed them in the oven for an hour and a half.  Half way during the baking time I took the beds out and reworked the holes with the skewer to make sure they weren’t closing.  Some of them flattened on one side, and some cracked but most of the beads made it.


 

I then had some help painting them with red Crayola tempera paint.  After it had dried I put on 2 coats of Modge Podge.  Then using this Martha technique I strung them on some red ribbon!

I used ribbon I already had, so it was a little short for a necklace but works perfect for a bracelet!  And personally I think this is totally wearable!

 

Aside: This is the second or third time I’ve worked with salt dough, and quite frankly I’m not loving it.  I’ve tried two different recipes and just don’t like the results.  Partly because of the long time in the oven.  It makes me feel wasteful.  I’ve seen several projects online about bead making and different recipes and I might try this one next.  If you guys have a good salt dough or other harding dough recipe let me know! I love the idea of these little keepsakes.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: