Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Movies in Review aka What I Did for Two Weeks

Needless to say, when I was sick I had a lot of time on my hands, but didn’t really feel like doing anything. Movies have always been my escape. I just don’t usually let myself indulge. Why? I’m cheap. I hardly let myself justify the cost of renting, but from my sick bed I was weak. And just so I can justify it a little bit more I decided to review some of the films for you. Alla Laney-Paney.

And just so you know I do have a background in film, although I don’t think I got too technical here. Just to let you be aware that I might have a different take on viewing film. Ok, there is my disclaimer.

Bedtime Stories
Decided on this one to try to keep from watching Santa Buddies. Did not disappoint. Super cute.


Bolt
This one came highly recommended. My husband and I really liked the movie Up, and was told that this one was even better. I don’t know if it was because we watched this one second, but neither of us thought that it was as good as Up. It is a cute movie and defiantly worth watching, but Up’s was an all around better movie. The animation was better, story was better, and the jokes were way funnier. In fact, I highly recommend watching the film about the making of Up on the extras section. But Bolt is good too.


Coraline
Not that great. I’m not sure what all the hype was about. Excepted it to be this super cool animated movie. It was ok. Watched it in 3D. Gave me a headache. Not for little kids.

Gamer
You know how sometimes you pick up a film because of either the reputation of the director or one of the actors? Well I did that for this film. I thought it would be high action for the hubs and Gerard Butler for me. Well, I wouldn’t really recommend this one. Action was ok, concept was extremely interesting, but it was a little too graphic for me. It was like watching a film shot by an adolescent boy. A really smart but gratuitous adolescent boy. The movie was an interesting take on the ‘man as prey’ The Edge and Alfred Hitchcock’s Rear Window voyeurism.


Hangover
This was a funny film, but I didn’t like it as much as hubs. Yes, I know it’s a film, but I had a hard time laughing because of the baby. Yes, I know . . . no babies were harmed in the making of this film.


Quantum of Solace
The first couple of action scenes were brilliant! Brilliant! The detail and continuity involved with the shots just made them amazing. I think I just said wow after watching them. The story is good too, but I think the first couple of scenes over shadowed the plot. But then again I still think that Sean Connery was the best Bond.


Hurt Locker
Some of the scenes were really well done, but I guess I never really got the full message or viewpoint of the film. And I have it on good authority that it isn’t completely realistic.


The Proposal
Love Sandra Bullock. This was a very cute film. Betty White was very funny.  Defiantly chick flick. Hubs wouldn’t have liked it. The scenery in Alaska was breathtaking.


The Ugly Truth
I wanted to see this since seeing the previews on TV. In fact wanted Hubs to take me, but of course couldn’t talk him into it. This is one of the first movies I picked out, and I have to say it is my favorite off the list. Love Katherine Heigl. I think she picks some really great roles. And of course Gerard Butler. I do have to warn you that this film is not for everybody. If you are ok with Sex and the City HBO you would be ok with this.


Julie & Julia
Ahhh. I really expected this to be a great film. I heard so many good reviews from the ladies in blog land, and I really thought I would like it. Well. I didn’t. It was ok, but. I think I would have liked it better if it was just Julia. Meryl Streep did a wonderful job. Stanley Tucci was good as always and generally I like Amy Adams. I think I just didn’t really care for her character. She complained too much. I mean if I lived over a pizzeria in Queens (I think . . . or Brookline . . . either way) I would love it . . . until I got homesick for red clay. But she just seemed like an eternal pessimist. (If you want to watch this film stop reading here because there is a slight spoiler) I couldn’t really figure out why I wasn’t enjoying the film until the part were Julie finds out that Julia didn’t really care for her blog and she asks if it’s because she says the f word too much. That kind of answered it for me. I had heard that the book and the movie were a lot different. That some people decided to read the book because they had enjoyed the movie so much, and were disappointed and one of the reasons was because of the language. I think I just couldn’t relate to the character. The whole concept just seemed a little too contrived from her part. And of course, gratuitous. Totally as an aside if you get to visit the Smithsonian in DC don’t miss the Julia Child exhibit. The kitchen is amazing. There is a part in the film near the end were you see Stanley Tucci drawing around the utensils on the walls so they can be put back in place, and it’s really just like that.

2 comments:

Pregnantly Plump said...

I completely agree with you on Julie/Julia. I didn't like the Julie character, but I had read the reviews of her latest book, Cleaved (I think) and she sounded pretty narcissistic. We are also huge fans of Up. Little Elvis is getting that for his birthday. He talks about the balloon house at least once a day. I wasn't a fan of the Ugly Truth. Think it might have been the cussing. Plus I used to work for local television and it was nothing like that. And I had the same baby issues with the Hangover.

Lainey-Paney said...

Julie/Julia: boring.
I had to turn it off.

Hurt Locker: we just recently watched that. It was so-so.