Monday, February 8, 2010

I've been sickie!

Wow! I knew it has been a while since I had written anything for the blog, but looking back now I see that it was a month! I had decided to take a little break to try and knock out some of the things on my to-do list. Isn't it funny how the New Year always seems to inspire you to do that? And then I caught the cooties! I had/have this horrible cold that just totally knocked me down. For two weeks! I have always been pretty susceptible to sore throats, and this was no exception. So after two antibiotics, multiple doses of Sudafed, cough suppressant, and ibuprofen, and truck loads of Cepacol and Ricola; I finally feel better. And I’m soooooo ready to get out of the house!

All that talk about over the counter stuff brings me to something that I want to share with you guys. Have you ever noticed how many over the counter medications there are? How many analgesics and cough and cold products in particular? Want to know a secret? They all contain the same active ingredient! Remember Tylenol PM? Guess what, it’s just regular Tylenol and Benadryl. The Benadryl is what makes you drowsy. Over the counter sleeping pills are also just Benadryl. Same active ingredient and same dose.

This is why when I buy over the counter medications I try to buy it in the simplest forms that I can. I don’t get the products that deal with multiple symptoms, because more than likely I’m not going to use the whole box. That way next time I’m sick I can go to the medicine cabinet and get what I need without taking extra medicine for symptoms I don’t have. Make since?

Here are some active ingredients to notice:
Pseudoephedrine – Decongestant - Narrows blood vessels to decrease swelling and congestion.
Guaifenesin – Expectorant – Thins and loosens mucus.
Dextromethorphan – Cough Suppressant
Acetaminophen – Analgesic

Those four ingredients make up almost all of the different combinations found on the while cough and cold aisle. Can you imagine how different it would be if it was simplified down into those four products?

And something else to remember next time you get a killer sore throat. Gargle Benadryl (without swallowing). Really it works.

1 comment:

Pregnantly Plump said...

Sorry you were so sick! Gargling with salt water also helps, though it stings initially. We were all sick around Christmas, and Bob and I went through lots of hot tea, lemon and honey. Bob likes coffee and said he'd be fine if he never had hot tea again.