Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Keep

During Christmas, I started thinking back on last year’s resolution, and I wondered if I had actually achieved my goal. While there were achievements, I had defiantly had times were I stumbled through the year. It’s hard to cut back. Not just economically, but in responsibilities, commitments, and clutter. We have been able to save, but then made big purchases at the end of year. My closet in defiantly less full, but then again, my basement is covered and in sore need of a yard sale. Responsibilities and commitments have seen little improvement. I think it’s hard to tell people no. And it’s hard to ask for help.

Christmas seemed much simpler, but harder in different ways. I did simplify the gift giving, again doing the Appalachian Christmas stockings! I didn’t take one picture of them though.  I sort of used these bags as inspiration.  They were filled with cookies, sugared pecans, tangelos, engraved klean kanteens, and gift cards. I even made some sacks instead of buying Christmas socks this year. There still seems to be a lot of running around though, which is what I wanted to avoid. I only purchased two gifts in stores, but did have to go shopping for supplies. But the real problem seemed to be the driving between our families. It was cut back this year though. We are going to have to work on that next year, and making our immediate family the priority. It’s hard when the grandparents and great-grandparent are getting older.

That doesn’t mean that I’ve failed my resolve in 2009 though. When things would get a little crazy, I would remind myself to simplify, to remember what was really important. Hair cut got shorter, projects were finished, and crafts were cut back. Things are defiantly being streamed lined.

I think that I’m ready for more goals, but I’m not ready to give up last year’s resolution. While I feel accomplished, I know I still have more to do. More to cut back on, more things that need to be condensed.

2009 was a hard year. While there were defiantly good parts, there were some very hard parts too. I’m certainly glad for the New Year. Our family has a tradition of eating collards and black eyed peas the first day of the New Year. The collards are to bring the green of money and the peas pennies. This has become an important tradition for me partly because of the nostalgia, but also because it symbolizes a new beginning. I guess I superstitiously believe if I start the first day of the New Year off right it will continue into the New Year. And let me tell you, I did eat my fill of collards with kale, black eyed peas, pork chops, and corn pone!

So what did I finally decide to resolve to do in 2010? Simply to keep; to stay my coarse and to maintain cutting out excess, making life simpler, diminishing my scope of expectations, and reducing my life to its essentials.

1 comment:

Pregnantly Plump said...

It's hard to cut back, especially with a little one. No matter how many things I got rid of before our move, we still had way too much. And Christmas brought Little Elvis WAY too many presents. Way too many...