Friday, December 18, 2009

Crayons


I think I just finished my favorite craft yet! You guys have to try this! I made crayons! Awesome! I have wanted to do it for a while, but couldn’t find anything to put them in. And then I saw this post at Zakka Life where she used candy molds! Perfect. I went to Michael’s and all I could find that were the right dimensions (and weren’t roses) were Animal Cookie Candy Molds.  Pretty cute right?
I used up all of my saved old and broken crayons in my first batch, so I had to go out and buy more! I put the crayons in metal cans, but I think next time (and there will be a next time) I will use baby food jars. The bottom of the cans made marks in my pan.



Here are some things that I figured out if you decide to do this:

1. Don’t mix or move the cans too much

2. If you are like me and can’t wait, then you will need something long to push the candles into the crayons into the other hot wax. I used tooth picks held with tongs.

3. When you move the mold to the refrigerator, it helps to have it sitting on something. I used a cutting board.



4. As soon as I could tell that the crayons were hardened, but not ready to come out, I flipped over the mold and left it in the refrigerator. That way they could fall down on their own and I didn’t have to keep checking them. If you force them out, they get a waxy service.

5. You will need a rag to wipe the bottom of the jars and a mitten to hold them.

6. The best way to make the crazy crayons is to melt the crayon colors individually and then pore them into the mold. You can add extra swirls with a toothpick if you would like, but I don’t think it needs it.




And of course let me know if you try this!  I would love to see what molds you use!  I think crazy crayons would be perfect as party favors!  In fact I think I'm going to try and these for a pirate party.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Quite creative lady!