Sunday, December 6, 2009

Green Akers Creations: Cars-To-Go-Carrier



It’s funny how some things hit you just at the right time isn’t it? A couple of nights ago I searched for a tutorial on making a portable race track/car holder. I know that I have seen some cute ones, but I couldn’t find any on my search. Well, low and behold the next day Samantha at Green Akers Creations posted about one she had made. I thought it was perfect! And I knew I had some Cars fabric bought on clearance in my stash. So I left a comment saying that I was going hunt my fabric and try to copy what she had done. As it turned out I had the exact same fabric with the roads on it! Samantha was gracious enough to email me with the dimensions and give the steps on what she had done.



Well, I have to say I finally finished it! And all though I am happy with it, there are a few things I could have done better. First, I added more garages then Samantha had. I did figure out the pleats, but that was a slow go. It was the first time I have ever done that. Because I added more pleats, I think I had to fold the carrier differently (go here to see what I mean), so even though I quilted the folds, they turned out not to be where I need them to be. And then even though I had pre-attached the Velcro I had to move it because it wasn’t in the right spot. So now I think I have to hand stitch it in place. I did use the iron on stuff, but it doesn’t hold at all.



I also didn’t get the tab centered where it should be, but it’s close enough. Samantha recommended Heather Bailey’s Quilt Binding tutorial, but I just couldn’t figure it out. Apparently I’m just not good with following directions. So I did it the Lula Bell’s way. It ain’t pretty, but it’s attached.



Now that I know what I’m doing (except for the binding apparently), I could totally make another one! Thank you Samantha for helping me and sharing your Cars-To-Go-Carrier! I just wish I could sew as well as you!

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Samantha said...

Awesome! It looks GREAT! And I'm sure your little one will just love it! {I know mine does!}