Friday, October 16, 2009

She's Here!



I have been wanting a new camera for a while now, because (even though I LOVED it) our other camera was getting finicky. It took great pictures though and was super easy to use. That camera has served us very well. I know that I have been late to jump on the digital ban wagon, but I must say I love the compactness of digital cameras. The pick’um up and go easy of using one. I have been a big fan of Canon’s for a while now. I love how they (on most models) have the feel of a traditional camera. I’m not ready for a DSLR mainly because of their size. They seem so bulky and inconvenient. When I used my manual SLR I usually used the static 50mm lens for two reasons a) I was a poor college student and b) I hated lugging around equipment. I wanted something that I could use for family photos, but then get artistic with as well. All of these were making my search for a new camera kind of hard.

And then I heard that they were coming out with the new G11! I have high hopes folks. I picked her up last night! I haven’t got to play around much mainly because the weather is crappy here again, but I’m looking forward to it. I’ve just been shooting. I haven’t even opened the manual yet. The only thing I don’t like so far is that it takes a special battery. I hope that it doesn’t give me problems. We are sort of on a trial run here, and I have 14 days to see if she is going to work in our family. Let’s hope!

And while I’m at it I thought I would share a couple of pointers that help me with digital photography.

1) Read your manual. There are all kinds of cool things that your camera can probably do, but if you don’t figure out how to use them then it’s not worth the price tag.

2) Become friends with the scenes feature (I’m not sure if it’s called something else by other companies). Scenes is a way to make your camera more like a manual without having to understand the concepts of things like lighting, exposure, or shutter speed. Landscapes, Party (or Indoors), and Portrait I have found to be the most helpful. Landscape and Portrait because they really help with getting the focus correct, and Indoors because it helps things from being blurry. And then there is the Beach (or Snow). Without getting too technical, it’s really hard for a camera to meter sand or snow. Using this feature lets your camera adjust to get the perfect shot.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: