Tuesday, May 12, 2009

No more animals, PLEASE!

I feel just terrible! TERRIBLE! Today is not a good day for me and animals. This morning I walked down to the neighborhood garden to weed some. I was noticing that our tomato plants hadn’t grown very much so I wandered over to the neighbors’ plants to see how they were fairing. They hadn’t grown much either, so I turned around to walk back and saw a giant enormous snake. Let me just say that I am afraid of snakes. Any snakes. Especially small ones, but I don’t give preference to big ones either. It’s amazing how fast your mind can think in about three seconds. In those three seconds I planned my escape route, jumped back about three feet, made a note to not pee myself, and checked to see if it was poisonous. It fact it was a highly poisonous and deadly kind of snake. It was a cobra . . . a plastic cobra.

My neighbor had put it out to scare off the gigantic crows we have here, but he probably never thought that it would give me a heart attack. I decided that I had had enough garden so I walked back home. I wasn’t ready to go in yet so I decided to sit on the back porch and try to steady my heart. By and by I noticed a big lizard lying around my tomato plants on the deck. It wasn’t ginormous, but it wasn’t the little black kind that we always see around here. It was grayish with an orange neck. It just ran off the side of the deck. I was fine with that. Maybe it will eat bugs around the yard. I turned around and noticed what I think was another lizard, but the same kind right by my slightly ajar door. Luckily for me it decided to not run in, because I don’t think I could stand a lose lizard in the house.

After lunch I decided that I needed some clean up around the house. I have noticed that a bird was building a nest in my dryer vent. I had already pulled it out a little while back, but I guess the bird didn’t take a hint that there were no vacancies here. I went and got a ladder. It hadn’t been that long since I had pulled it out last so I was hoping that it hadn’t had time to build much. I got a broom and banged on the side of the house next to the vent to tell the bird that the landlord was coming with an eviction notice. No response. So I started pulling out the nest. All of a sudden there is some winged creature brushing against my hand and I fear heading toward my face. I scream . . . like Jamie Lee Curtis in Halloween . . . I hear it echo through the neighborhood. I steady the ladder and glance around my head to make sure the squatter isn’t coming back. Then I continue pulling out leaves, twigs, and bits of moss. And then my heart sank. I was too late.



I know that this time Mommy bird isn’t coming back, but I pray that if she didn’t get the hint the first time maybe she can’t say away this time. I was going to try and put the nest back in this bird house the old owners had left, but after I cleaned it out I realized there was no way that I could get the eggs in unharmed.

Look at how much the previous tenant had packed in that house.

And there was an old wasp’s nest inside. Apparently this is supposed to be for a finch if you notice the writing.

I decided to just go and get a bucket and put the eggs inside that. I took a clean paint can and carefully put the nest remnants inside. Then, careful to not touch the eggs, I lay the nest part with the eggs on top. I’m hoping that my smell won’t bother the bird because I’m sure our smell was on the dryer lent, and hopefully it can’t tell the difference. I wish I could do more, but I also know the more you do the worse off the little eggs will be. I used a zip tie to attach the bucket to the ladder though because we are supposed to have storms rolling in and the end of the week . . . Anyway I just feel terrible.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Pregnantly Plump said...

Wow!! What a crazy animal day! Robins used to lay eggs in my grandparents newspaper box (it was directly below the mailbox, but didn't have a door so it was always open.) I know we did something to transplant the eggs, but cannot remember what. I think your new location for the nest is a great idea.
Thanks for the comment on my last post! Our ultrasound was regular, but when the tech wanted to take a picture of his face for us, she switched to the 3-D mode. I thought it was a lot harder to decipher.

Trina said...

Don't know much about birds so why would the momma bird not come back? Because you scared her so badly?

lisa said...

While I probably did, I figured that she wouldn't come back because I messed with the nest. If you ever find a birds nest with eggs, never touch it because you leave your scent behind. When the mommy comes back she will know and will abandon the nest.

If I would have stopped when she flew out she probably would have come back. I checked on the eggs a few times, and as I had feared she hasn't come back . . .

Trina said...

Oh that is sad. I had heard about the scent thing but didn't think she would abandon her eggs. I'm sorry :(