Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Moon Sand

I have been trying to make some moon sand, and so far it isn’t turning out. We got to play with some recently and it was really fun. It held its shape, was slightly moist, but didn’t feel messy. The stuff that we got to play with was selling for $19.99 for a 5 lbs. bucket! I just couldn’t do it. So I came straight home and started looking up recipes. I found this one online. In fact, I saw this same recipe repeated on a couple of different sites, so I thought I would get it a try. I bought a 50 lbs. bag at the local hardware store, bought seven 16 oz boxes of corn starch for $1.18 at Wal-Mart (the recipe said for 50 lbs of sand you would need 24 boxes but the store didn’t have that many), and a 34 quart tub. I decided to start with one batch first and then to multiply the recipe up to the seven boxes of starch. Well, it didn’t work. Instead of coming out moon sand I got sandy yak, like the corn starch slime that you make in science class. I looked it up (because although I remember making it I didn’t remember the science) and apparently corn starch and water really don’t mix. They are in suspension together acting like a solid and a liquid at the same time. So if you press on it, the starch feels solid.
Without pressure the substance acts like a liquid and becomes fluid. I tried to fill a little crab mold to see if it would hold shape, and although it filled the shape well it was so hard it wouldn’t release. I thought it was because I had added to much water, so I added 6 more cups of sand. Then it just felt like sand so I added more corn starch. Then it got really hard, so I just mixed it up for a while. I finally decided on a total of 24 cups of sand to a box and a half of starch with about 2 cups of water. It still feels really moist. I think I am going to see if it gets better when it dries out more. If feels like what I want, but it sticks to my hand. And you can see starch residue.

Not like the $19.99 version, but still better for the price. But look I can for it into balls and it holds its shape! I don’t ever remember being able to do that with plan sand. Anybody else ever tried this or have any recommendations?


Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Sarah and Jack said...

This is no real help for your issue, but a few days ago Target had those 5 lb buckets for $12.

Lainey-Paney said...

Moon Sand is officially banned from my home.

Sure, Gage loved it.
but it was blue, and messy, and ALL OVER THE LIVING ROOM RUG!

Yes, it went back to Memaw & Poppa's house since they are the ones who bought it.

Trina said...

Wow! I can't compete with that. My OCD self would have a cow with the mess that stuff would make! LOL