Monday, April 20, 2009

Not again!

I wasn’t kidding when I said that I have a problem folks! I had to make a trip down to Jo-Ann’s. Why? Because I ran out of Gutermann’s color 506 thread.

Here is how it all happened. I have been wanting a new bag see, because anytime we go somewhere as a family my purse gets filled to the brim, spare diapers, water bottle, first aid kit, Swiss army knife . . .the things you really need as a Mommy right? Anyway, I have wanting to make a new bag with lots of pockets, but I wasn’t sure were to start. I’m not ready to read a published pattern yet so when I saw this pattern at J Caroline Creative I knew it was just the thing. I found this great Moda fabric at a fabric store in my hometown, I bought it in twill but they didn’t have any fabric that the Woodland pattern that matched. I looked online and saw some that I thought would work, but I decided to try the pattern out on a different fabric before I ordered online to make sure that it was what I wanted to use it on. So I went to my nearest local fabric shop . . . Walmart. They. Had. Nothing. I mean nothing. I shouldn’t have been surprised after I couldn’t find anything to use for fabric Easter eggs. They did have some natural webbing so I got it, even though it was 1.5 inches wide instead of 1.25. Oh well, I could use it for something right?

I decided to try the next closest fabric shop, Hobby Lobby. The selection here was A LOT better. I found some really cute fabric! There was also a really helpful associate there who answered a ton of questions for me. She makes bags herself and she told me that she used the plastic mesh stuff that you find in the embroidery thread section to put in the bottom of her bags. She talked interfacing with me. I think I am starting to get the hang of it. Ok not really but I have a little better understanding. After my long talk with the lady at Hobby Lobby I was ready to make the bag except they didn’t carry black 1 1/4th inch webbing like the pattern called for. The only size they carried was an inch. No problem I will just go back to Wal-Mart and get some of the 1.5 like I had purchased earlier but in black.

Well guess what! That’s right, Wal-Mart doesn’t carry anything but the 1.5 in neutral. They also have webbing at 1 inch but I don’t think any of it is cotton. That’s right. I had already made three different stops to try and make this bag. That’s when it hit me. What have I gotten myself into? I decided to give up and go to my stash to try to find alternate fabric that I could use that would go with the natural webbing that I already had. I decided on ticking material and unbleached cotton. I had to cut it out the main body part twice because I couldn’t get the lines to work. And then it still wasn’t the right size. But I kept moving on. Then my bobbin ran out of thread. No problem. I’ll just wind some more. Then click. What was that that? That’s right I had put all my thread on the bobbin . . . and I didn’t have anymore in that color!

So today I decided to go to Jo-Ann’s. It was a trip, but I had to have thread and hopefully they would have the right size and color of webbing that I needed for my first test bag. My first stop was the thread department. Guess what . . . I forgot to put the empty spool in my bag. I stood there for probably 15 minutes trying to decide on the right shade of neutral. I chose two. Onto the webbing. They have it in 1.25! Yeppieeeee . . . oh wait . . .no black! What is going on here?

And even better still I bought white and neutral 1.25 webbing, two spools of ribbon (incase I make any more pincushions), buttons (to finish off my first pincushion), 4 remnants (one of which in a pattern that I already had), Kona cotton in light brown, four spools of thread (two large spools each of the neutrals and one extra large white), Pellon Peltex 70 interfacing, and two Heidi Grace fabrics . . . way too much. But I used a coupon . . . this is what happens when you have to go to 4 different shops to get what you need.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Liz said...

This made me smile. My mother-in-law is constantly telling me stories like this (she's a quilter). I'm just glad I'm a no-talent when it comes to sewing and crafts... I get way too crazy in flea markets already. My wallet cant take another hobby. :)