Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Voting is a Privilege

I want to write a post about voting, but it is a hard topic. I want to say the standard “Don’t forget to Vote,” but I want to say so much more. On one hand I don’t want to be preachy and start a debate. But on the other hand it is MY blog right?

I guess I want to start by saying how important it is to vote. And not for the usual reasons that are given, like “if you don’t vote, you can’t complain.” I strongly believe that voting is a privilege. It is a right, but it is also a privilege. Is not afforded to ALL people. It carries with it a weight and responsibility.

This is an important time in our Nations history. And not just because of the variety of candidates. We are a country facing hard economic times. We are also a country at war. Barack Obama has made a pledge to end the war in Iraq. Regardless of how you feel about Iraq, please know that this pledge is a pointless one. Our military will still be fighting this war regardless of whether it is in Iraq or not. More and more servicemen and woman are being deployed to Afghanistan.

Activism in our country has begun to out rank patriotism and service. The only way to change that is to be different, and to think different. To remember that voting is a privilege AND a right. And to not take it for granted. So please remember to vote TODAY.


reposted from yesterday!

2 comments:

Kssnnikkel said...

I voted today,let's just hope the best team wins!

Samantha said...

Yay for voting!!.... it's just too bad we lost. :(