Monday, August 25, 2008

Fashionably Late for a Paint Party

Joy at Joys of Home is throwing a Paint Party to celebrate a week without using black spray paint. I think we were supposed to “paint outside the black box,” but since I never use black spray paint I thought I would do the opposite. I decided to take a little trip to the Goodwill (which I will talk about later) and purchased this silver bowl for $4.14.





I used Rust-oleum Painter’s Touch Flat Black paint, because I thought that this would be perfect for Halloween! This project was actually a lot harder than I thought. When I first tried to paint it, I sat it out side on my trusty flattened cardboard box. I had my spray paint mask on and my new handle (*which is awesome by the way!), and as soon as I started spraying a bug flew in to the paint! I flecked it off with my nail, and decided I would fix it later. I would just let it dry for a while. When I went back out to check on it, I realized it was raining. So I just decided to bring it in and start all over. It’s turned out pretty good except for some cracking in one spot. I’m not sure why that happened, but I think I can sand it off and just re-spray that area.





If you like seeing spray paint projects as much as I do, you should go check it out.

*While at the hardware store getting my black paint I decided to splurge on the spray paint handle. It is made by Rust-oleum and was about $5. They had another version which was a little cheaper, but the handle on this one looked better. I’m sure you could find them cheaper other places, but I have a few things on my spray paint to-do list. Anyway, I highly recommend it.

Past Spray Paint Posts:

Summer of Spray Paint Project Lists

Cans and Spray Paint


Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Cherry's Jubilee said...

Cool project! I have a silver bowl just like that. cherry

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

That looks great--I never would have thought of painting a silver bowl.

~ Sarah

Joy said...

I love my spray paint nozzle attachment too, but yours is definitely fancier. The bowl turned out great! I can't wait to see what you have in mind for it for Halloween. The spot on it was probably caused by a raindrop that was painted on---I've had that happen to me. A little sanding and a repaint should fix it.
I'm so happy that you joined the party. Thanks!

salpetitt said...

I like the look of the bowl now! I'll have to try one of those handles. It's a bit uncomfortable to use your finger all the time!

deepfriedapplepies said...

Very cool! I think I need to find a bowl like that for my Halloween decor!

Nikki said...

Oh, I'm really liking this bowl, and I love the black. Maybe I will be able to find something that shape in my neck of the woods.

Blissful Nikki said...

I love the bowl, and it looks very nice in the black. Cant wait to see what you do with it! :)

Bonnie the Boss said...

I really like how it turned out. Does the paint scratch at all? I haven't painted anything metal yet.

Amy said...

Hello! I am visiting your site and truly enjoyed my stay.

Love crafty sites that give me ideas. :)

a day in the life of bella said...

Hi, I love your little bowl. I can't wait to see everyone's Halloween decor :)

It's very nice to meet you:)

Bella

Bobbie said...

Very good job. I have not used that metal paint either- but your bowl looks great