Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Coupons

First off I just want to say how much I appreciate ya’ll. I have learned so much from each of you, and you guys are an inspiration. You have taught me how to spray paint, to collect, to coupon and be frugal. You have showed me decorating and crafting inspiration like I have never seen before. And anytime I have a question you have not hesitated to answer! Which to your credit has been a lot!

One great blogger that I always go to is Trina from Fabulously Frugalicious. She always has great things to share about saving money, and she has taught me a lot! Recently she posted about her new coupon binder. I’m not quite up to that level yet as you will see below. She entered it into a Coupon Binder Show and Tell at the Keeping the Kingdom First. Well, it started me thinking about my own system. I’m not quite ready for a binder, but not really satisfied with my system. I have been thinking about it for a while, but after seeing Trina’s new system and all the others that entered in the Show and Tell, I know that there is a better way. I’m just not ready for the trading card pockets. I’ll figure it out. But until then this is what I got.



I bought both of these at Wal-Mart after my little blue plastic one crapped out. I usually buy the double addition of my local big city paper which means double coupons!!! In the blue one I have Food items and in the red one I have Other. I really liked the size of these holders, but I knew that one wasn’t going to cut it. I don’t know if you can see it, but the Other one is about to bust at it’s seams too. That’s why I think I need a better system. I thought that these would be easy to take with me, but not so much.



Here are the inside tabs of my holders. This one is obviously the Food one. My categories are Breakfast, Dairy, Bread, Meats and Main, Soup, Veg and Sides, Baby Food, Cooking, ETC, Desserts and Snacks, Baking, Candy, and Drinks. For Other the categories are Baby, Cleaning Products, Dishes, Laundry, Paper, Other, HBA (Health and Beauty Aids), Soaps, Deodorant, Dental, OTC (Over the Counter), and Blank.




My main problem is really how my mind works. I could NEVER use the alphabet system. When I think of coupons I automatically put things in categories. The problem is that these categories change from week to week. Like where does hand sanitizer go? Is it soap? Some are made by Lysol, is it a cleaning product? A first aid item? I’ve tried to work this out with sub categories. I write on long envelopes and then put those down in each category. Like HBA has envelopes with Shaving, Cleanser ETC, Hair Products, Lotions, Makeup, and Hair Dye. I decided to make these two separate because I don’t use them. Why do I save them? For CVS freebees of course!

You might have noticed that I have a category for Soup. Well that was hopeful wishing on my part. It’s empty. I don’t think there has ever been a coupon in it.

I also have envelopes for each store that I shop at. Inside goes the coupons for each store and a print out from The Grocery Game. What would I do with out it?



One last thing that I feel is VERY important. In the back of both holders there is a business card section. I made sure that first thing I put my name and phone number there. Remember the above mentioned blue plastic one. I found that at a store years ago. We saved it for a while, but no one came to claim it. I guess they thought it was hopelessly lost. I can’t imagine that now! Especially after I lost my recipe book that I had filled with cards from Martha Stewart Living. I can’t quite talk about it yet, I still get ferklempt.

I hope you have enjoyed this walk through my coupon holders! Maybe one day I will be able to answer some questions for ya’ll! Until then thank you so much for all your inspiration, help, and time! It really means a lot!

Posted by Picasa


3 comments:

Trina said...

Way to go Lisa! I am glad you posted this and entered the contest :) Good luck.

Trina said...

Oh and thanks for the very kind link love ;)

Alyssa @ KeepingTheKingdomFirst said...

Lisa-

Thank you so much for participating in the Coupon Binder Show & Tell! It is all about using the system that works for you. I completely understand the not being ready to use trading card holders.

One tip I might give you- try using more general categories. You will spend less time filing and agonizing over what section a coupon belongs in. For example, I have a general "household category".

Have fun couponing!

Blessings,
Alyssa