Monday, August 18, 2008

Pear Upside Down Cake

I just want to start out by saying that I am not the best cook in the world. In fact, quite often I have to call my sister and double check before I hard boil eggs. The reason being that I don’t do it that often. While my Mom is an awesome cook, and was cooking for a large family by the age of 9, she is not a very good teacher. I do have certain recipes in my repertoire, but they are usually very complicated and not always things that my family will eat. Imagine my family’s surprise when my contribution to a reunion was pate’ de poisson. To my credit it was made with canned tuna fish (and it’s delish!). They wouldn’t even try it.

One of my favorite aunts is known for her deserts. My brother and I argue over whose favorite cake she is going to bring to the family get-togethers. My favorite is a black forest cake (which she made for my wedding cake!!!!) and my brother’s favorite is pineapple upside down cake. My aunt usually makes both. My brother’s she hides. Mine she puts out on the main table. Why? This might seem like favoritism to you, but in reality it’s not. You see she KNOWS! She always tells me that the cake is there and exactly where she placed it. Let’s just say that a few family members have actually tried to come between me and my cake but now they have fork marks on their hands to remind them not to make the same mistake twice. More often then not I come home with about half a cake. The rest I ate at the dinner. Not kidding.

Anyway, so recently my brother had a birthday and I really wanted to do something special for him. My aunt lives too far away or I would have asked her to make him one as a surprise. I have had a recipe for Pear Upside Down Cake from Martha Stewart for a while, but had never tried it. I thought this would be wonderful. It would be close but not exactly. So a few hours before family was scheduled to arrive for his birthday dinner, I started the cake.
It turned out pretty well. About half way through I started deviating from the recipe as usual. I’m not that fond of ginger so I didn’t put near that much in. I also didn’t use cloves because I only had whole cloves and I’m too cheap to buy more. I also didn’t have brandy so I decided to use a way smaller amount of Grand Marnier. I decided to bake it in a skillet instead of a cake pan. I thought it was a little more traditional. I have to say that the pears would have been better if they had become soft, and I thought that the molasses taste was a little too overwhelming. I would try it again, but I think next time I might ask my aunt how she makes hers and then just adapt for pears or use this recipe.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Pregnantly Plump said...

It looks really pretty. I'm sure your brother loved it.